Declaring a Major in Teacher Education
We strongly encourage you to declare the major and schedule a meeting with a department advisor by the end of your second year. If you are interested in a Teacher Education major, you are encouraged to speak with an education advisor as early as possible due to state certification requirements.
Students may declare their majors or minors online through WebSTAC.
In our Teacher Education programs, declaration of an education major with the College of Arts and Sciences does not guarantee admission. To be admitted to our Teacher Education programs, students are required to complete a short application that includes the following:
- All Secondary and Middle School Department of Education majors are required to double major in a content area for certification. Elementary majors are required to have a second major or minor in a content area or closely related field.
- Submit transcripts from any other colleges attended for evaluation of courses for certification area.
- The state standards require a 3.0 overall GPA, and a 3.0 GPA in courses taken in the content area in order to be certified.
- Submit a passing score for the Missouri General Education Assessment. As an alternative, a composite ACT score of 20 or above can be used to meet this requirement. Contact the Student Services Coordinator for more information about the MoGEA.
- Complete an application form for the Teacher Education program and return to the Student Services Coordinator.
Contact the Student Services Coordinator for an application form, or other questions regarding major declaration or admission to the Teacher Education programs.