We strongly encourage you to declare the major and schedule a meeting with a department advisor by the end of your second year. If you are interested in a Teacher Education major, you are encouraged to speak with an advisor as early as possible due to state certification requirements.
Students may declare their majors or minors online through WebSTAC.
In our Teacher Education programs, declaration of an education major with the College of Arts and Sciences does not guarantee admission. To be admitted to our Teacher Education programs, students are required to complete a short application that includes the following:
- All Department of Education majors are required to double major in a content area (for secondary and middle school certification) or a closely related department (for elementary certification).
- Submit transcripts from any other colleges attended (to evaluate certification courses)
- We require a 3.0 overall GPA, and a 3.0 GPA in courses taken in your content area.
- Submit a passing CBASE score (contact Roshonda Ludy for more information on the CBASE exam)
- Complete an application form for the Teacher Education program.
- Submit a personal essay, which is used both of an indicator of dispositions for teaching and an assessment of written communication skills.
Contact Roshonda Ludy for an application form, or other questions regarding major declaration or admission to the Teacher Education programs.